Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Yikes!



It is said cats have very long memories, and it is going to take Angel a long time to forget my introducing him to the new car.

One of life's small pleasures is to find Angel waiting at the top of our driveway each day as I come home from work. Like many pets, he knows the sound of my car's engine and gives the impression that he has waited expectantly and is very glad to see me return.

After several days of no show or welcome for me in my new car, I thought I would introduce him by way of a tour of its interior. He walked and climbed throughout, sniffing the upholstery and each fitting, then tested it for size by stretching out on the back window ledge. He finally decided to claim ownership with an attempt (albeit very short-lived!) to sharpen his claws on the upholstery, and prepared to exit.


'A successful exercise,' I congratulated myself, as he unhurriedly stepped from the car with great cat decorum, tail held high and firm to show his approval and that he was in control of the situation – for all of several seconds, till I shut the door and somehow set off the alarm system! The sudden, loud,
shrill wailing sent Angel flying off into the bushes, dignity shed with a sharp kitty expletive!

I tried apologizing, but the family's laughter did nothing to help, and I had to suffer feline dirty looks for the rest of the day...!

3 comments:

Gina said...

Now you've done it! My bet is Angel will leave you a little "gift" (hopefully still alive so you can show your gratitude and then let the gift go)on the doorstep soon to repay you for the alarm incident.

Noella said...

Gina, you are so right! In fact Angel left two little gifts, one in the form of a mouse at the back door (which he ate, tail and all!).

The second gift was a nice big hairball, strategically placed on the carpet at the foot of the bed, where my husband would be sure to step on it when he got up in the dark, followed by myself when I got up later!

Gina said...

Awww...Angel must really love you!
Both my cats stay indoors (I live in a high-rise condo, so there's nowhere for them to go really) so the only gifts I receive are 4 a.m. wake-up calls.