Monday, December 01, 2008

A Smiley Face in the Sky

...


After a hard day, the smiley face in the sky brought a smile to my face and a sense of perspective. It was fun to share the experience over the phone with my son, Christopher, in wonder and amazement.

We were experiencing, together with so many others, what astronomers call a conjunction to describe two or more celestial bodies appearing to come close together in the sky.

From information described by NASA and the Sydney Observatory, in the dark sky I could see the 'dark' part of the Moon glowing slightly with what is called "earthshine", the result from sunlight reflected off the Earth and onto the Moon. The Observatory says this fantastic celestial sight won't happen again until the year 2036!


3 comments:

Alice said...

I can think of a night in April when your smile was bigger than the moon - I'm sure it will be again this year.

Noella said...

Oh yes, Alice - 20th March, centre front row. No way of choosing seats but I'm not complaining!

I saw a bright glow in the sky over your way a weekend or two ago...

Alice said...

No, I meant April THIS YEAR, but no doubt your smile will be even wider NEXT YEAR.

Did you have to camp out overnight to get FRONT ROW CENTRE???

Bright glow Sydneyside this weekend, too.